Auto Accidents

If you have been injured in a car accident in Northern Kentucky, you need an attorney to represent your interests. Car accidents can produce sudden and devastating impacts on your life, including pain and suffering in addition to costly medical bills. Since a car accident can affect your life in so many ways, it’s important to hire an attorney to represent you. The selection of your attorney is critical for your case in order to get you the representation and the compensation you deserve. If you have been involved in a car accident, there are several steps you should take immediately after the accident. First of all, make sure to gather the contact information of the other party involved. Try to avoid conversation with this individual about the accident itself at the time. Leave those conversations to court and to be managed by your attorney. Your next step should be to get medical attention even if you are not sure whether you have any injuries or not. Some injuries, like a concussion, might be present immediately, but they can cause serious damage if not treated by a professional. Seek medical attention and make sure you continue to follow up as needed. It’s important to collect evidence during this period, such as proof of lost wages and copies of medical bills. There are statutes of limitations that affect your case, so you could be wise to schedule an appointment with a talented Northern Kentucky car accident lawyer sooner rather than later.  We can advise you about your options and help get your case started. Any evidence that you may have from your case should be filed safely so that you can provide that documentation to your attorney when needed. Car accidents can change your life in an instant, and the ramifications of a serious car accident can affect you for years to come. Your family may suffer as a result of your lost wages and you may have to spend extensive periods working with physicians and medical personnel to recover from your injuries. The pain and emotional trauma may even last for the rest of your life. You’re entitled to compensation, so set up your consultation today.  

What are the time limits or Statute of Limitations in Kentucky?

Under Kentucky law, the Motor Vehicle Reparations Act, the statute of limitations (deadline) for filing a lawsuit against an at-fault driver is two (2) years from the date of the automobile accident or two (2) years from the date of the last No-fault/PIP payment, even if the last payment is well beyond two (2) years after the accident. A derivative claim or a claim associated with a direct personal injury, such as the right of a spouse to sue for injury to that spouse's husband or wife remains one (1) year. Also, property damage claims must be filed no later than two (2) years from the date of the accident. Because all cases are different and present with unique issues consultation with a lawyer can help navigate this difficult undertaking.  

What is no-fault?

The No-Fault law in Kentucky does not have anything to do with which driver is at fault in a car or truck accident. It is about insurance benefits. How insurance benefits must be paid in the event of an automobile accident resulting in injury. No-fault does not have anything to do with damage to your property. This is generally covered under the "collision" or "property damage liability" provision of the at-fault vehicle's policy. No-Fault is also known as Personal Injury Protection or PIP. If you are involved in a car or truck accident you look at the policy on the car that person was riding in or which hit them if they were a pedestrian. That person may collect up to $10,000 in out-of-pocket expenses or losses. Anyone except the driver of an uninsured vehicle can fall back on his or her own insurance No-fault benefits.  

Examples of out-of-pocket costs include:

  • medical bills
  • prescriptions
  • lost wages ($200 per week)
  • loss replacement services (things around the house)
  • funeral bills up to $1000

How do I collect benefits?

If you are injured in an automobile accident of any kind or you are a pedestrian you must notify your own insurance company and the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you. You to complete a No-fault/PIP application. This application must be completed, signed, and returned to the company in order to qualify for No-fault/PIP benefits. Complete and sign authorizations so that the insurer can obtain your medical and payroll records. The insurance company will have to be provided copies of itemized medical bills, pay stubs, W-2 forms, doctors' statements and statements from your employer. Once the insurance company has all the required information it is required to make payment within 30 days.  

Do I need an attorney?

While it is possible to collect no-fault benefits from your own insurance company without an attorney and this process may seem easy, it could create issues if questions are answered incorrectly. You may need to proceed against an at-fault driver and their insurance company. It strongly recommended that you hire an attorney. In all cases consultation with an attorney is recommended. We will can help you complete the No-Fault/PIP Application for Benefits at no additional cost.